Sunday, January 23, 2011

Truth or Consequence

I can deal with the sin, really I can.

I cannot tolerate lying.

Even if it is about the sin.

Double sin, if there is such a thing.

She had my calculator.

I did not care about that but I needed my calculator for something.

RIGHT NOW.

She thought I would care that my calculator was in use.

She lied about having it.

I almost got sucked in but resisted because I knew it to be true.

Later, amidst still constant protests that she didn't have it, I asked her to write a letter of apology. I said she could use the calculator. I told her she cannot lie.

Here is the letter:


Dear Mom,
I lied to you because I didn't want you to be angry at me.
I wanted to be truthful but I could in my mind but not on the outside.
I didn't want the boy and girls to make fun of me as usual.
Love,
PS I am stupid not to tell the truth.
PPS I am sorry will you forgive me.

Couldn't you just cry?

This girl came from a
very hard place.

I am amazed at the depth of her understanding.

I didn't know that she had come this far.

Thrilled that we can communicate.

What changed?

One thing is time. Lots of time.

Time to prove that we mean what we say.

Time to show that we will not give up on her (like everyone else in her life).

Time to heal and learn how to trust.

Time together in the rocking chair.

Five years in and time is making a difference.

Whatever it takes. She's worth it.

2 comments:

  1. WAHOOOO!!! That letter melts me! PRAISING GOD with you!!!!!!

    Keep it up sister in Christ :) Time and God is what we all need!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet!!

    5 years, eh?

    *sigh*

    Guess I'll strap the seat belt tighter....

    LOL. The Lord give me grace for 5 or 6 or 10 years.

    ReplyDelete