Sunday, December 5, 2010

Clamming - Summer Fun

Long overdue are a couple of posts about our summer get-away with very special friends who invited us to their cottage on the coast of Maine. Who invites a family of 11 to spend a few days in vacation land and expects it to be relaxing? Some really great people, that's who. They were determined to show us a good time and we got to experience clamming. She warned me that we would get dirty. I can do dirty. But clamming defines dirty in a whole new way.

Kloey has the right tool for the job.
We had to hike through the woods to find the mud flats.
Our host demonstrated how to find the clams.
Even the little people were in on the action.
A mass of enthusiastic workers disperse while trying to beat the tide.
I think she has done this before.
She was willing to put her back into it.
Those little buggers are down there somewhere.
Dig with the hands.
I have all the right equipment.
Twilight on the coast. It is amazing how fast the tide comes and goes.
We couldn't see anyone or any houses. It was idyllic.
Not hard to imagine the Indians looking for food.
He saw some action.
Did I say dirty?
Mom, you gotta take my picture. That was wicked fun.

The evidence in one of the buckets.
My hunter-gatherer.
Silly boy. Love the moon in the background.
Thank you for a once in a lifetime experience. I love watching the kids try things for the first time. Hearing their giggles and glee made all the laundry worth it.

I didn't personally try any clams, but I heard they were good.

No comments:

Post a Comment