Home, public, private, and now lots of on-line choices!
Home schooling isn't for everyone but it has worked for us, most of the time.
We didn't always spend 24-7 together. Lindsey went to school until halfway through third grade and Jerrod attended an integrated preschool program located in the public school. Our kids were part of very small nurturing programs and we were happy with the education they received.
At some point, we decided to take Lindsey out of school to learn at home. I was one of those who never imagined that would be a good idea for our family. Turned out to be a wonderful road for us as we read our way through book after book, learning so much along the way.
Fast forward a few years after Erik and then Erika arrived. What a blessing it was, for Erika and the other foster children who followed, to have everyone home. Their lives tended to be hectic, filled with a lot of coming and going. The only person who left our house was Bob when he went to work Monday through Friday. When you are home every day, it is easier to be consistent and that is exactly what we all needed.
We have used outside intervention/therapy/school often. Our kids have participated in special needs and typical preschools, several kids attended daycare a few days a week and Lindsey participated in band all the way through elementary school. Eventually Jerrod went to public high school for three years and graduated with his peers. A reasonable decision for what he needed, both socially and educationally.
What we have learned over the long haul is that home or not, it is hard either way.
At this point in our family life, the thought of packing up eight kids every day and
However, living and learning at home with eight or nine kids milling around comes with its own challenges. First and foremost, we have had to work on how to get along with each other. Some days we do okay and other days we fail. Like everyone else, I have strong suits and weaknesses which means the kids get shipped out for English and writing classes. But have a math problem? Bring-It-On!
Being home seems to have given our older-when-adopted kids the grace and space to heal and grow. I think most of them might have done very well at school, but I am eternally grateful that I get to see the transformation first hand as each child blossoms into who God intended them to be.
And now a little homeschool fun!
Mama is home alone with the littles. The bored littles.
Since it was snowing out, we decided to make a treat. Dump a can of sweetened condensed milk and a slug of vanilla over a bunch of snow. Find two cute boys to stir it all up and you get snow ice cream.
We found an old candy cane in the cupboard
and decided to add a little color to the cream.
Pretty close to the real thing and tasty too!
An old water bottle, rubber band, and some dish soap.
Hours of entertainment learning.
Big brother is a very good sport on field trips.
"Hey Mom, look at us."
"We hung ourselves up!"
Science museums are a must.
Especially when you get to wear cool safety glasses.
Very cool!
Dr. Micah. Dress up is another must!







Love this post! I think that the learning to get along is one of the most unexpected blessings of homeschooling. Time to devour books is another.
ReplyDeleteThanks Dana. I tried to keep this post neutral. We are not against public school but nurturing our kids in the Lord and keeping them out of mainstream peer pressure has helped our family stay somewhat stable.
DeleteThen again, I have had some hard conversations with our pediatrician about wanting the Asians into school for therapies, etc. He is the guy who goes to school board meetings...everyone has their learning curve. He is coming around now. :)
Just wanted you to know that i enjoy reading about your family events and activities~i don't leave a comment often, but am silently here...I wouldn't trade homeschool for anything. I hold those years as treasures in my heart, and miss them!
ReplyDeleteMarci, thanks for chiming in. Me either, trade this life. When others push back, I tell them the tipping point for me is, "You can't redeem the time." That time spent together, the awesome responsibility of helping them find their gifts, what a blessing.
DeleteHard both ways.... and yet I would prefer homeschooling. It just can't be right now for two of my kiddos. I see a day coming when I can homeschool James again.
ReplyDeleteMe too. I think even harder is living with one foot in both worlds. That is wonderful that you can think about homeschooling James. I know you gather information and are always expanding your toolbox.
DeleteOh, my, I echo you on the heart attack over trying to shoo them out the door every morning. Especially on snowy mornings I'm so thankful that we can just be at home.
ReplyDeleteI think there is so much character built in children when they daily interact with their younger, and older siblings in school.