Sunday, March 10, 2013

Feeding Eleven - From The Fly On The Wall

Been awhile since I've done a big shop. We've been limping along and making far too many trips to the local (read: very expensive) grocery store. If I drive fifty minutes to a more populated area, I think we save up to five bucks a bag. At least. Add in a trip to the Stuff-Mart for underwear and it becomes a "spend and save" trip.

Tomorrow, I am combining a trip to the allergy doctor with a quick stop at the market.

Yep. Quick. Me and my eight buddies. I am utterly organized. Here is how it will go.

Unload from Big Red.

Wait. Turn off Big Red and lecture explain to the troops about the buddy system.

No negotiations allowed at this point. Partners are prearranged.

Okay, now unload and walk sweetly with a buddy into the store.

Pull out five carts.

Erik. Just go! On your own. You want to start with frozen or produce?  

Frozen:
1 bag of broccoli
2 bags of corn
4 bags of whole green beans
2 bags of petit peas
6 Uno Flatbread Pizzas (sale 3/$10) You pick variety.
4 bags rainbow tortellini
1  meat Lasagne (special treat before 30 hour famine)
2 large bags cheese ravioli
8 cans of apple juice

This will take him exactly 7 minutes. I will give him the produce list next. 

Produce:
2 bags of apples
3 bunches of bananas
1 box mixed green lettuce
1 box baby spinach
1 bag romaine hearts
2 whole garlic
4 heads of cauliflowers (we are in love with roasted cauliflower)
1 bag of green peppers
1 bag of red peppers
1 4-pack of cucumbers
1 bag of onions
1 bag red potatoes
4 sweet potatoes
1 5lb bag carrots
4 avocados
4 tomatoes
2 bunches of asparagus

Kloey will take her partner in a cart and go get the miscellaneous! Good times.

Miscellaneous List
8 small cans of cat food - no fish
2 large packs of paper towels
2 Sc*tt toilet papers on sale $10.99
1 dish detergent
1 dishwasher detergent
1 box tall kitchen trash bags
2 - napkins
4 tissues 99 cent boxes
4 tubes toothpaste Aqu*fresh
2 3-pack of soap Dial B*sic

Erika and her best friend will head to the liquid aisle. 

Dairy
3 blue milks
1 red milk
8 eggs - dozens
4 butters - pounds
1 Almond Vanilla Unsweetened
1 Coconut Milk
1 Soy milk - plain
1 American Cheese - 3 lb
3 Orange Juice
1 block of cheddar
1 pack cheese sticks
4 packs of tortillas

Cora can take her partner to the bread aisle.  

BREAD
4 loaves of 12 grain bread
1 box plain graham crackers
1 box chocolate graham crackers
1 box cinnamon graham crackers
1 large creamy peanut butter
1 large chunky peanut butter
3 jars of no sugar added jelly
4 bagels - french toast, raisin, everything,wheat

That leaves Joy and me with the rest!

Everything Else
ketchup
mayo
olives
olive oil
canola oil
coconut oil
canned salmon
10 cans of tuna
2 cans vegetarian baked beans
4 bags of chips
1 large like biggest you can buy medium salsa
1 large  same type mild salsa
2 applesauce
honey 
maple syrup - the one area where we splurge
a few cans of peaches
sugar brown and white
coffee
4 boxes of cereal (will have a non English speaking partner to avoid pretty sugar
parmesan cheese
4 large Rin*ldi spaghetti sauce
2 boxes Suddenly S&lad
1 case Ramen noodles (treat with a capital T)
1 large box of fruit and nut granola bars
4 bottles of salad dressing - will see what calls to me
turkey bacon
turkey pepperoni
frozen salmon - 2 lbs
3 ground turkey
1 large hamburger
2 whole chickens
1 mega pack turkey hot dogs

Meet at the checkout. Plaster smile on my face and nod when they tell me I have my hands full. Hope that no one asks for candy. I might give in if all has gone well. Those marketing dudes ought to be shot.

When bag boys ask me if I want help out, I will look at them and say, "Thanks, but I think we got it."

Drive the row of carts without racing out to the big red van.  Not hard to find!

Chuck it all in the back and heft some over into the last seat. 

Pull out lollipops I have been hoarding since after Valentine Day sale. Drive home listening to rest of the Lamplighter Theatre story we started on the way down.

Unload. Put away.

Sometime this week run to other store to pick up:
10 lbs of white potatoes - 5lb/$1.38
9 lemons - 3/$1
2 canteloupes
Frozen fish fillets  - 2 bags
green grapes @ $1.59/lb

Want to guess how long this will last?

How many bags?

And the burning question: How much???

Someone said to me they wanted to be a fly on the wall at our house for just one day! So here you go, this post is just one of the answers to "How do you do it?"

10 comments:

  1. I like the idea of splitting the kids up to each shop for part of the list!

    My dh does the weekly shopping at Costco for our dozen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guesses: 8 days, 25 bags, $280,

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing how you do it because we feel overwhelmed with just 3 kids sometimes! They are all big eaters though...thus many shopping trips. :) I love your organization, and yes, I am dying to see your bill. Who knows how to budget for that many people?! Crazy. You amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm. If you only got 3 gallons of milk, I can't imagine it will last long. There's only enough fruit for each person for a couple of days - unless you have fruit at home or they eat more veggies than fruit. But, that is a lot of eggs and main meal things.

    Okay. I'm going with 5 days. There's no diapers in the bill, so that throws off my comparisons with what I spend. With the salmon and meat (you lucky girl splurging on protein like that!)I'm going to say it cost $322.

    I actually have no idea how long this will last you. We go through 6-7 gallons of milk a week and 5-6 bunches of bananas for only 6 kids. But we only go through about 3 dozen eggs.

    I'd be interested in hearing a week's worth of menus...maybe a future post?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would guess this lasts you two weeks. Shopping for seven makes me tired. I usually enjoy it, but the nausea has taken the fun out of it. :) Oh, and the "hands full" comment gets old doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done! I have always wondered but never wanted to ask. Shopping is easily my least favorite on the list...your method seems to work wonderful!Heide T.

    ReplyDelete
  9. An amazing study in organization!! And yes, I want to know how long it will last.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's an amazing study in organization! And I like (and agree with) the splurge on maple syrup. Okay, how many days and how many bags? I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete