Thursday, November 10, 2011

Back In The Saddle

Our wonderful therapeutic riding program started back up recently after a time of reorganization and relocation. Jen and her staff are wonderful. I love it when God provides therapists who appreciate the value of treating the whole person.

Kloey has been asking almost weekly when she can start riding again. Finally I was able to surprise her and say, "How would you like to go tomorrow?"

I will never forget the first time we went to the therapeutic riding program with Kloey. She didn't say a word all the way there. There was a time a few years ago that Kloey was not where she is today. Her constant grief and trauma overshadowed everything in her life, her relationships, her behavior, her self-care, her development. After riding, she talked all the way home. It was like God came down and flipped a switch.
Something amazing happens when you are one with an animal. For a kid like Kloey, it meant she was empowered. A girl, who for five years had absolutely no control over the things that happened to her, was given control. The warmth, the movement, the ability to direct "someone" else at will, these all contribute to feelings of self-worth so important to a child.
 Guess who else got to give it a try?
Sound familiar? Someone else who has had no 
control over the things that have happened to him?
Does that smile speak volumes or what?
As I was filling out paperwork and watching the kids ride,  I realized that this was "exercise" that Joshua could actually do. It is fairly non-aerobic, yet he can move and stretch and feel empowered all at the same time. It has been a challenge to think about what he can do physically to have fun yet not feel left out or have his heart stressed by activity.

Because here is the thing. This is the best he will ever be. So we will treasure every moment, accomplishment, and experience. 

And we thank God for the privilege of loving and raising His children.

PS. Pictures taken by Whit Haynes who graciously shared them with me.

3 comments:

  1. beautiful... my heart is swelling for two children I love dearly.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. I'll have to think about riding lessons for my kiddos. We used to have a couple of horses... but I'm not into all the work of that right now :-)

    Your little guy is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. Incredible. This type of care leaves me speechless.

    ReplyDelete