Bloggers do "Keepin' It Real Posts" and I figure if my friend, Sandra, can blog about not letting her son go on a preschool field trip as a consequence (admiration kowtow here) then I can give you a snapshot.
Conversation between me and my daughter.
Read on....
I said, "Please go and clean off the kitchen table so we can watch the movie." See, I balanced a task with a reward.
She said emphatically, "No! I don't have to do what you say because you are my fake Mom."
Me: Burst out laughing. Pregnant pause.
Me: "If I'm fake then who is your real Mom?"
She: "You know what I mean, the woman who had me."
Me: "Oh, you mean your birthmom. Well if she is real and I'm fake, then where is she?"
She: "(Can't tell you what she said)!"
Me: "Looks like I'm all you got. GO over and CLEAN off the table, please!"
(Mind you no one is yelling although there is still some whining going on.)
She: indignant now, "Well, you only adopted me so I could do all the work."
Me: Laughing out loud, unusual for me... "Oh, yes that is true. But if we hadn't adopted you, there wouldn't be any mess to clean up 'cause you are the messy one."
She: "Moooooommmmmmmm!"
Finally a smile and a giggle.
How'd I do?
Lord, help me.
Of course there were lots of little ears tuning in.
Today on the way to the city, we talked about adoption.
The real kind of adoption.
When God adopted us as His own.
"We talked about that in Sunday school yesterday."
"Hey, that means we are all adopted."
"Yeah, and that means some of us are adopted twice!"
Brilliant!
Dinner tonight:
Her earnestly: "Mom, you know I am your daughter in law."
Me: "Actually, you are my daughter in love."
Her: "No, law like the court."
Me: "You are my daughter and just because you didn't grow in my belly doesn't mean you didn't grow in my heart."
Her: "Did your heart know about me when I was born?"
Me: "I'm not sure but I know that God knew.... and had a plan."
To Be Continued.......
beautiful! so thankful to have read this today Jennifer....
ReplyDeleteLOVE THIS! Seriously :)
ReplyDeleteSending you a hug.
ReplyDelete