A simple Christmas this year.
We were rewarded with true
excitement and appreciation.
Everyone got a new pair of pajamas.
Not everyone felt that a picture
in their new jammies was blog-worthy.
If you know what I mean.
The train set could be a blog post all on its own. We bought this at a wholesale club store seven or eight years ago when Erik was crazy about all things Thomas. After about five years, we gave it to another foster/adoptive family who had 4 small boys at the time. Who knew we would eventually have three more little boys? Early December, I asked the mom if they were still using the trains and table. She was tickled pink to return everything just in time for Christmas. What a blessing for the little boys.
To exemplify the spirit of giving, our biggest and pretty much only gift to the kids was a challenge. We gave them some money to spend. The only stipulation being that they all had to agree where the money would go. I wish I had recorded the comments and sweet conversation that ensued. Looks like World Vision will be purchasing some chickens and goats real soon.
Derby enjoyed her first Christmas.
After dinner, our good friends with 5 kids and one on the way,
joined us for Nativity making 101.
I saw this cute idea on a blog and decided it was do-able.
Snickers, tootsie rolls, and a little frosting made snazzy horses.
Black licorice and marshmallows became sheep.
Gum drops stuck together to make Mary, Joseph, and a shepherd.
We had just enough candy but ran out of graham crackers, so we raided the pantry. Isn't the rice cake backdrop simply adorable?
Our neighbor's grandson, Sean, came over to make his own nativity. I was grateful for an opportunity to share the reason for the season with a very special little boy.
Everyone's scene was different.
There was some snacking along the way.
Big kids paired up with littles.
These two worked together beautifully.
Colored coconut added authenticity.
All the kids had fun as we created the Christmas story
piece by piece.
A great way to end our simple Christmas,
celebrating the birth of Jesus.
The whole nativity making crew.
Christmas 2011.




No comments:
Post a Comment