Monday, March 26, 2012

From Time Change to Birthday

The therapist says "on the spectrum."

I refer to it as "out of whack."

This year it only took me five days to remember what was going on.

In the beginning, torture would have been better than trying to parent a kid whose behavior had  absolutely no rhyme or reason.

Especially from "time change" to the "birth day."

Two years ago, she got herself into a bit of a jam when curiosity got the better of her. The coke machine won that one.
Together we've made great strides since then.

Leaving me puzzled as to why every spring takes me by surprise. Again and again.

I have to remember that a lot of life happened during the five and a half years before she joined our family. They say that trauma kids have triggers every year after a significant event. From what little I know about that time, I can imagine there were quite a few "significant events" in her life, and not positive ones either.

Once I wrap my mind around the fact that life will be a little quirky from daylight savings time to early May, days becomes much more manageable. My patience is renewed and I try not to let the moods and swings hit me on the way back.
 How she see herself. 
This beautiful girl.

Who's birth-day is a reminder of great loss. 
Yet she is thankful for her "now" family.
Her words.

Redemption.
 An amazing gift from God.
Who has the future in His hands.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I understand! For us it's fall, and early winter that is the trigger. I so appreciate it when other adoptive moms write about this. Makes me feel like I'm not alone. :)

    ReplyDelete