Can I be honest?
I have no idea what an Endocrinologist does. I've heard some mutter about growth hormone shots and pituitary glands. Other than that, I'm clueless.
I knew we were referred there because Joshua wasn't growing and maybe the study of endocrines will be of some help. Not sure how because last September, one of the cardiologists told us not to ever give him growth hormones because his heart would have to work harder and why would we want that?
First up, weigh and measure. Same 36 pounds. Ugh!
Secondly, meet with the resident to answer all those pesky questions.
Most of which I answer in a monotone voice: "Unknown." Because it hurts my heart that I don't know about gestation, or birth, or milestones of my child. Joshua walks and talks just fine now. That's where I'm at.
Then the really pesky questions begin. Who lives in the home, how many biological, how many adopted, etc. Finally, she says, "Other than normal sibling squabbles, do your kids get along?"
Stop.
"Why are you asking me that?" Mama Bear emerges. Now maybe I don't know what an Endocrinologist is but I'm certain that whether my kids get along or not has nothing to do with why Joshua isn't growing.
Have you ever seen a resident squirm? I know the poor thing is trying to do her job. "Because sometimes family situations play into the health of our patients."
Mama Bear with a blank stare. Silent pause.
"Look, after 10 years of foster care and six adoptions, those are the kids that are in my home. My kids get along just fine."
Know what these are?
Stay tuned for Part 2 of Endocrinology.
(The study of the endocrine system, BTW.)

we have been there. I sat for what seemed like minutes when they asked that *and* if I have a "happy" marriage.... I just laughed and said, "Well, we are all still here *together*." May God bless with answers for you and your sweet boy....love you!
ReplyDeletetesticle sizers!
ReplyDeleteOh good grief! Why is it that professionals ask such stupid questions? One we get a lot is "How do your older boys FEEL about having so many littles in your home?"
ReplyDeleteYou.Have.GOT.To.Be.Kidding.Me. What the heck? And no, no idea what that picture is! So curious! Thanks for the lessons in endo, it's like medical homeschool for mommy's! Can't wait for part 2!
ReplyDelete