Thursday, March 29, 2012

"Redefining Home" Pre-Read Book Review

I won! I actually won something on an internet giveaway.

I have a love/hate relationship with those.

Because I get overwhelmed with the bombardment of giveaways.

But you can't win if you don't enter. I wanted this book really bad.

Since I'm trying real hard to stay on my book fast, I entered. I shared. I posted.


I haven't read the book yet as it will arrive soon, but I can highly recommend it based on what I read on Carrie's blog. She is thoughtful and thought-provoking, doing her part to be a world changer, led by God.

It's no surprise that I have an interest in China. Did the squatty potty thing, although I had been initiated to one of those in Cyprus back in the day.

Here's the thing that draws me to this book¸. We shouldn't be comfortable in this world. Seeking to follow God at all costs? Very expensive. It costs time(serving) and money(tithing, Compassion, helping others)  and results in living a step apart from the mainstream culture.

And that is not a bad thing. Years ago, I prayed that somehow in this world I would make a difference. I didn't plan on being different. I guess we should have seen it coming when Bob and I went to the island of St. Martin for our honeymoon and when we left the resort area, we were dismayed at the disparity and poverty that we witnessed.

Now everything about us screams "different" from our rainbow family to the big red bus that we drive.

I'll let you in on a little secret? This is where pure joy is found.

If you are as intrigued by "Redefining Home" as I am, head over to Carrie's blog, click on the picture of the book to go see the description on Amazon, or check out Eastern Journey, another one of my favorite blogs, to enter a giveaway with THREE chances.

After I read the book, I plan on telling you what I really think. :)

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer-

    I love these words you wrote, "I didn't plan on being different." Whenever people think that following the Lord is boring or a kill-joy, I gently remind them that it's the most adventurous thing you can do! Thanks for the shout out. Doesn't it blow you away that the Lord allows people to be used? Wow.

    ReplyDelete