When they arrived,
when we met,
that moment that changed all of our lives,
they didn't know.
He didn't know what "adopted" meant. He still doesn't understand "forever." At the time we thought he was so prepared, but I wonder if he unconditionally had to accept us when authorities told him so. I cannot imagine walking off with strangers into the unknown at age 8. I admire this boy more than you can imagine.
She didn't know that I cried, the day her birth mother stood before the judge and signed a paper relinquishing her parental rights to this beautiful little girl. I thought I would be happy that the years of abandonment and turmoil would be over but I was overwhelmed with the profound sadness of the day. A sacrifice by one so that another, her daughter, could receive a life that was beyond her grasp. After blowing through multiple caregivers, many who were family, she didn't think that anyone would stick by her. Stuck we are. Like glue.
She didn't know. Too little to understand all that had happened, she resorted to not thinking about it, the trauma and drama of her young life. Maybe that isn't all bad, but we must come to terms with our past to create a healthy future. She WILL break the cycle.
They didn't know that ultimately, they would learn
to spell compassion with actions rather than letters.
He didn't know so many kids would be looking up to him, watching his every move, giving him the opportunity to be a leader.
They don't understand yet, that biology is one thing and love is quite another.


Holy Buckets! What a beautiful post!! Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteSuch treasures- each and everyone of them!
beautiful. I admit my tears are flowing and my heart is swelling... I love each one.....
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post. :)
ReplyDeleteThis was so precious! Those sweet faces didn't all grow in your tummy but they sure did grow in your hearts. You guys are amazing!!!
ReplyDeleteGracious. Ummm thankyousomuch. Now I need to go reapply my mascara that is currently running down my cheeks. Sheesh. The nerve. :) Love your heart sweet friend!
ReplyDeleteSo perfectly put! We're living this right now and it gives me hope to read of the love that binds your family together!
ReplyDeleteI love your neat little posts.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing.
Blessings and joy,
Summer
That was precious. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThe lump is getting bigger in my throat. You wrote beautifully about the duality of emotions involved in being an adoptive mother.
ReplyDelete