Sunday, October 23, 2011

Holding Out

We are holding out. 
I am not sure we have ever gone this long.
We haven't turned the heat on yet.
Usually the goal is October 1. 
Way past that.
Chalk it up to global warming, 
a nice New England fall, 
or frugality.
Today at 7:00am, it is a balmy 34 degrees outside. 
Still way above 60 on the inside. 
The miracle of insulation. 
I am grateful.
Yet I think about those without.
 Graduated to long sleeved shirts and my black vest. 
Don't mind the extra 20 pounds. 
I was "pregnant" you know.
But I am not ready to put socks and shoes on. 
I am definitely toughing it out.
Cora got up this morning and said it was cold. 
On the other hand, it's tough to get Joshua to wear 
a sweatshirt, never mind socks and shoes. 
He is comfortable at this temperature and 
prefers things on the cool side.  

When I was studying China, I learned that they do not have central heat south of the Yangtze River. They bundle up and adapt. 
I realized how non-adaptive we, as Americans, have become. 
It continues to amaze me how our China experience 
has flavored every aspect of my life.

Have to go and check the weather 
to see if we will make it another week. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh brrrr. I'm a wuss when it comes to being cold. I start to shiver when it gets below 68 in the house. We heat with an outdoor wood boiler so we don't feel the pain of heating costs quite so sharply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been turning mine up once the sun goes down. Wishing I owned more cardigans :)

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete