Years ago, I took Lindsey down to Lancaster, Pennsylvania on a short term mission trip to pack up teddy bears with Josh McDowell.
I remember sitting down next to a woman who gave me a life lesson while we were creating gospel bracelets to go on the bears that would ultimately be given to Russian orphans.
She said when someone asks you about your mission trip, there are three different answers:
1) One word: "Great!"
2) A sentence or two: "We had a wonderful time and met amazing people."
3) The whole story: " Our time in PA was beyond my expectations. Can I tell you how I saw God speak into my life......"
Some people only want number 1.
Some people think number 2 is enough.
Some people take the time to hear your heart.
I thought everyone wanted to know the whole story,
all...the...time!
What a gift that stranger gave me sitting on that warehouse bench many years ago.
Ever since then, I have been trying to discern what others are really wanting to hear when they ask me something.
It's hard.
Because I've got a lot to say.
And it's getting harder.
Because more amazing stuff keeps happening to me,
all...the...time!
So, when someone asks me how we are doing......I might say:
1) A one word answer: "Fine" for example.
2) One sentence or so: "Things are going well and we are adjusting."
3) The whole story: "We are doing okay but....."
I've been trying to decide what to say about the results of Joshua's hospital stay, to those that ask and even here on my blog. What will he want to read, about himself, someday?
This is tricky ground for me. The "I want to blab the whole story to everybody" kind of gal that I am is ready to let it all hang out.
But I had a check in my spirit.
And I am listening to that still small voice.
Because in the midst of telling our story,
I want Christ to be glorified.
Not me.
I know what you mean- I have so much to say too BUT have to realize it's not my story to tell. I share what I can and then pray about the rest...
ReplyDeletePraying for you and for your dear sweet boy!
(Remember though - that prayer warriors/ a praying community can make a difference!)
What an amazing post!! I love it!
ReplyDeleteI want to thank you for allowing me to follow your journey that God allowed you to travel. I pray for you all often!!
{{hugs}}
Jaclyn
http://adoptutah.blogspot.com/