Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Nothing to Complain About

 I.Got.Nothin',
absolutely nothing,
to complain about, that is.
I am grateful to the moon and back for everything I have. 
 Embarrassed even by how much.
All the cars in the driveway.


The food on the table.
A roof over my head.
  Clean water.
 Our own soft beds.
Photo from internet
The list goes on....

I'm not sure when it happened. 
This desire to have less and help more.
Long before I read "Radical",
or went to China, 
 or sent my daughter and husband to Africa.
Maybe it happened when we opened our door,
for the first time,
to a Fresh Air Child from NYC;
Visited shut-ins with our little kids;
fostered, 
adopted.

All I know is that we are called to serve,
the One and only,
Whose word is a light unto our path.

****************************************************

Wow, that was more then I set out to say.
I loaded the pictures and then my fingers 
did the walking and the talking.

What I really wanted to talk about was
 how I don't sweat the small stuff anymore.
Because I am so grateful for what I do have.
One day, Bob came home and sat in his chair. He looked up and saw this. "Who did that?" I had a pretty good idea. A little guy had scissors and the need to cut, something handy and close by.  I remember saying at the time, "What's done is done. Does it really matter who did it?"
This past weekend our refrigerator door, well-loved refrigerator door, washed every day refrigerator door, needs a lock or a counter to see how many times it is opened refrigerator door had a handle that was "accidentally" removed.
 Yup, that's a handle.
No house with small children would be 
complete without writing on the wall.
I've completely given up on the chairs. 
Live and learn. 
Spindles are not kid friendly.

And how about that silverware?
Where do all the glasses go?
Who knew that glasses, silverware, toothbrushes,
and socks would be regular budgetary items?
House beautiful? 
Not what makes a home.
I'm going for the lived in loved look.
Because that's where we'll thrive.
 We don't have as much as some.
But we have a lot more than most.
  Grateful,
humbled,
 blessed.

The pictures in this post are from Mali, Africa on several mission trips with
 Medical Missions International
Taken by my daughter Lindsey and her friend, C.J. 
The orphanage bed picture is an internet photo. I will not and
cannot post pictures from Joshua's orphanage. 

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya, in the eternal scheme of things none of that stuff really matters does it? Souls are more important than stuff---I say this to myself at least five times a day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete