Monday, February 27, 2012

Oh, You Like Your Kids

Darn tootin'!

I was at a baby shower and a friend mentioned that I wouldn't be in a hurry to get home because I must not get out much.

"Actually, I go out whenever I want. My husband is the best."

After 25 years, you work that stuff out. Or die.

"Well," she said mostly in jest, "It must feel good to get away from the kids. Oh yeah, I forgot, you like your kids." 

Love is more like it.

Last week at a church meeting with my husband, a very nice guy sidled over to me and asked me where all the kids were? 

I get this a lot. 

Like how could I possibly have that many corners to stick them all in? Maybe people forget that older kids watch younger kids? We make it work and everyone gets commensurate rewards. Oh, they do! You would also be surprised at who watches who. I have spies everywhere.

I said as much but I don't think he believed me. Yes, they are home watching TV. It's the best babysitter I know. This week was "Cars 2". When we rent a movie, we get our money's worth watching each one at least three or four times. Then I'm done for life.

It helps that we only live 1 mile from the church. And we both have cell phones.

He wasn't satisfied. "You two must love being away from the kids. You probably don't even want to go home."

It's true. I do love my husband. And being whisked away into the sunset sounds pretty good.

But I CHOSE my life.

No, that's not true.

God PLANNED my life.

'Cause I couldn't have thunk this up if you paid me. 

Really. 

I miss my kids when I am not with them.

Pretty sure Bob and I wouldn't have it any other way. 

I LOVE MY LIFE. 

I know, because I didn't always feel this way.

End of rant.

5 comments:

  1. You go mama!! After 25 years you work it out. Or die. Bahahahahaha you crack me up!!!!!! Love your perspective! I have a boy here wanting a skype session, you guys available tomorrow around 3? I'll let you go now.....I know you must have lots of corners from which to retrieve children now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this! So many people look at me in pity at my poor unfortunate life, as if I just slipped into this bondage of having 5 children. It's crazy, but so amazingly FUN! I wouldn't change it for anything. And, you're right that the older ones start to take real ownership over the littles and then things get even more fun for everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it so sad how people assume that because you have many children that you feel you must escape such "bondage." I only have 4 and they are all grown ( adopting IS in our future) but people always used to say "you have FOUR... I dont know how you do it." The fact is you just do it... live and love the life you have! The world is becoming more and more anti-family and anti-kid... and that is so sad to me!

    Last night my husband, middle daughter, and myself were all in the living room reading and I could literally hear the mantle clock ticking. It made me crazy. I told my husband that the lack of noise and action would not do for long especially after youngest daughter moves in a couple of week and my son gets married in sept. I havent had a noiseless house in 27 years!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny that you say you chose your life.

    I have a index card (right next to my calendar) that says, "I choose this life." I love the reminder, even when my obligations are right in front of me in black and white, that I actively agreed to follow this path that God put me on. On rough days, sometimes the reminder that I choose this is good. On great days, I can think, "Smart girl. You picked a great life to live."

    Oh, but I do like the opportunity to miss my children now and then. :)

    ReplyDelete