Sunday, February 12, 2012

When Is Enough?


Will it ever be enough? This life I live? Is it even possible to do more?

So often, I am haunted by that feeling, that aching inside.

Seeing with my own eyes the huge needs in China and too many hopeful waiting faces.

When I visit the Projects and see the life my friends have "chosen" with seemingly no way out.

Waiting in line at our community outreach supper,  I chat with the woman holding her cleft baby who hasn't gained any weight in the 6 weeks since birth, her sixth child, a fragile, tiny, beautiful little girl, my heart sighs.

The hungry, disabled, elderly, neglected.

Needs everywhere and my soul is plucked like a guitar string. 

Then the world says:

"You've got your hands full."

"You saved adopted plenty of kids."

"Take care of the ones you have."

"You don't have time."

"There's no extra money at the end of this month."

"You've done so much already."

Excuses.

Yes, I guard my family time with zeal.

Husband, homeschooling, public school, special needs, medically fragile, big kids life-launching, church, friends, and family.

But we are constantly on the lookout for how God will use us in the doing.

Yet somehow, the more I do, the bigger the ache grows.

I was reminded on this blog the other day about the heart of Katie Davis.  

"I have learned that I will not change the world. Jesus will do that. I can, however, change the world for one person. So I keep stopping and loving one person at a time. Because that is my call as a Christian."

- Katie Davis 

Beautiful words to live by. Thank you, Katie for living out what you believe, for heeding the call.

And what does God require of us?

Do justice.
Love kindness.
Walk humbly with your God.  
                                                      Micah 6:8

One person at a time.



2 comments:

  1. I wish I had a house with a dozen bedrooms..........so I could fill them. I so understand where you are coming from!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed to hear all of this today. To not be satisfied with what we might have done before. Thanks for the reminder. For some reason, your blog keeps not showing up in my Google Reader. I think I've fixed it now, but I've got some catching up to do :)

    ReplyDelete