Saturday, March 12, 2011

Baby Steps: Pills and Personal Care In a Large Family

Time to clean out the medicine cabinet after I went to a workshop on drugs and kids. Amazing what lengths people will go to these days and what they use to alter their sad states. I try to weed out the meds 3-4 times a year but honestly I cannot believe how much stuff I had that was old and expired. I am only showing you this because I realized how important it was to NOT have this medicine laying around.

Old and expired medicine. Yikes!
It has been a hassle to organize the meds for our family. Finally, I bought a little crate to corral all the bottles. Then I put everyone's initials on the top of their own bottle. With this many people, it adds up quick when you have allergies, asthma, adhd, eczema, and vitamin deficiencies. This is working better for us. The only one who doesn't have anything in this basket? Bob, the Mr. I'm-as-Healthy-as-a-Horse guy!
I saw this idea on another blog and decided to try it out. We used to have cute candles and a china teacup and saucer on this crackle painted shelf in the bathroom. But really, 8 kids in one bathroom? The toothbrush holder never got used and seems like the brushes multiplied over night because there were about 15 of them laying around. The premise is that everyone gets their OWN basket with their OWN bathroom supplies. Yup, I sprung for 8 tubes of toothpaste which completely alleviates the clutter on the bathroom counter. Teaching self care 101.
Except for one particular son who is rebelling. Do ya think you should leave a razor and shaving cream lying around with a 2 and 3 year old on the loose?

No comments:

Post a Comment