Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Easily Amused Part I


The Shanghai Hotel Airport was amazingly quiet considering its location smack dab in the middle of a humongous airport.

Here is a picture of the bathroom. With the round bed, this room is all about curves. Although the sink did remind of the bowls I used to spit in at the dentist's office back in the day.
Ah, the shower felt good after a day and a half of travel. The water was hot and came at you in two directions. After I got in and got wet, I happened to hit the drain with my foot and I looked down. What did I see?
I said to myself, "Self, that is a very odd thing to find in a shower."
That's right, a guitar pick was on the floor of our shower. Since neither Bob nor I were planning on playing a guitar this trip (or ever), it is an amusing puzzle as to how it got there, in our shower, at the hotel, in the airport.

Do people play guitar in the shower in China?

Do they hide pics in places where.....oh never mind.

We stayed up as long as we could and then hit the hay. Bob is having a harder time than me I think with the jetlag.

I woke up at 2:00am and took a tylenol PM and that did it until 8:00am. Oh blessed sleep.

After round two in the shower, with the guitar pick, we went to breakfast. The first thing that touched my lips in China was an onion ring. And if it wasn't an onion ring, I don't want to know. The fried rice with the cabbage was delicious. I considered how small the chickens were that used to have those legs. A croissant and an egg topped off my breakfast.
Back to the room to pack up.

This little label was on the glass desktop. In other words, don't lean on it, it's glass, it will break.Off we went to find the Long Distance Bus station. After an elevator ride down and back to where we started, we got ourselves turned around and found it. Amazing how slow your brain works when you are tired. NO English at the bus station but there are attendants to help. Our bus to Hangzhou was pulling away so they hurried us up and threw us on.

It was interesting to see the country side. Mostly cities. Some agriculture amongst the apartment buildings. We were on the bus for 3 hours. That was an experience with interesting TV and creaky broken seats. A very kind soul in front of us allowed us to borrow his phone and we made contact with our guide in Hangzhou.

Our first glimpse of Hangzhou.
I was relieved to see the Hangzhou Tower as up to that point, I wasn't positive we were even on the right bus.
After someone tried to take us to our hotel privately and charge us 3 times as much, we found a taxi and made it to the hotel.

We met our lovely guide and she updated us on our schedule.

Now it is a short nap and later a walk around the city and dinner tonight.

All caught up.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are all safe and getting so close.... Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete