Monday, Medical Clinic in Guangzhou
Good morning, Guangzhou Marriott. Your breakfast is fabulous. Even more choices than the last hotel. Then there was some sticker shock. Travel note for Marriotts: At check in there is a little note on the desk that tells about an upgrade to the Executive Lounge. For not much more than the price of breakfast, we got free breakfast, ample hors d'oeuvres for dinner and free drinks all day long. Highly recommended to go this route. It saved us from visiting 7-Eleven twice a day although we did make a run when we discovered that Joshua has a weakness for Pringles.
Table manners are very different here in China. Watch and learn.
I had prepared from my reading online for a smoky environment. In the two cities we have visited, people are smoking but it has not been overwhelming like I thought it would be. In fact, we found out that just today, they have banned smoking in restaurants or something along those lines. We found that out later in the day so this sign on the breakfast table made a lot more sense.
Daddy's got the picture taking lingo down.
First stop of the day was Shamian Island and a visit to the Guangdong International Travel Healthcare Center. I learned that everyone who wants to emmigrate to the US has to attend this clinic for a check-up. We were the only Americans in the place.
Joshua was very worried. Momma knows these things. I had read in his referral that he was very scared of medical care when he was little. This is true.
First stop, ENT. They checked his hearing by blaring a rubber duck next to his ear. I had a hard time not laughing, the kid is 8 not 2.
Next up a visit in the International Adoption Area with the doctor.
Height, weight, and eye check. He could see a lot farther than we could even with our glasses.
Then the TB test. He started to freak out but the candy got his attention.
The clinic visit took less than 40 minutes. I believe we are fortunate in that we have a non-traditional schedule as we met Joshua on a Wednesday instead of a Monday. We don't have to wait for very long however we also haven't met many other adoptive families.
Next stop, the White Swan, a famous 5 star hotel on Shamian Island. Located right on the Pearl River, the views are lovely. We are hoping to take a dinner cruise later in the week.
Inside the hotel is lovely. 


While our guide conducted some business, we walked around the shopping area. Finely constructed furniture was on display. Some were reasonably priced, others were extravagant.
We were advised that a lot of things for sale here are not the real thing.
Red Couch anyone? Adoption families buy traditional clothes for their kids and take pictures on the red couches. Somehow I thought there was one special red couch but there are many sitting areas so you just pick one to sit on. Maybe we don't have the traditional clothes but it is a lovely family portrait.
This boy loves his Daddy.
Happy boy! We are blessed.
We went for a stroll to find lunch. There are all kinds of statues on the island.
I must take a picture. Perhaps I will frame this and hang it in my laundry room.
We visited Jordan's store and bought some fun toys. He also painted Joshua's English name in characters for free. He was a great guy to meet. Businesses like his are very concerned about traffic on the island once the White Swan closes for renovations.
Above Jordan's store, 5 stories up, is a fantastic noodle place. I think we had lunch for less than $5 and the noodles were excellent. Bob had to carry Joshua up 5 flights and it was a workout in the heat.
On the way out I couldn't resist taking the security guard's picture much to the amusement of the girl behind the desk. After the flash, he woke up not knowing a thing.
Back at the hotel, we have a lovely view from our room. Our hotel is near a beautiful and extensive park with walking paths. The first night we went for a walk but didn't get too far because of the heat. It's a lovely place in the middle of a large city.
Out across the city.
The swim goggles have been replaced. And I wish you could hear this boy laugh out loud when he watches cartoons. It is beyond infectious.
Monday was a good day. We checked another appointment off our list. We ate dinner in the lounge at our hotel, skyped with home, and went to bed.
Bob and I are back together again. Joshua has got his own bed. All is good.
I believe we met your son when we visited the orphanage in August! So happy to see him with his family already! & Mama and Baba in Chinese characters out of playdoh? Not only is your son talented but he's oh-so-sweet as well.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing the link with the Hangzhou group,
Jill G